We all know that story telling is central to good Content Marketing. So, here's mine:
It was during my first real writing job. We're talking way back when 'the web' was something you found in your kitchen because you couldn't be bothered to clean the flat. I was working on a customer magazine and wrote a case study around the development of a new shopping centre. The article led directly to the company covered securing a £20 million contract. I think that was the first time I realised the power that well targeted, well written marketing communications could have.
It's also where I gained a love of magazine production that I've never lost.
After that, I moved to an ad. agency and was given a remarkably strange creature called an Art Director (it later transpired that it was just mine that was remarkably strange). While contract publishing taught me how to hone the message, advertising gave the opportunity to get far more creative and innovative with words.
Oh, and they also treated you like a god if you were part of a creative team. Ah, the old days. I do miss them!
That gave me the confidence to form my own B2B agency, The Garret. It allowed me to get much more involved in the marketing strategy of clients. This, I believe, is an essential part of any copywriter's skillset. You can't properly craft content if you don't fully understand its purpose or goals.
Why, then, you ask am I not the next WPP? Turns out I'm a lot better at writing and strategy than at business administration. So now it's just a man, a keyboard and some very loud music.*
*Loud music is not obligatory on client site.
• Experience of developing and executing inbound, outbound and lead generation campaigns at a national and international level
• Experience of creating and delivering successful offline, digital and email marketing campaigns
• Strong long and short copywriting skills
• Global marketing lead for the Datasat group of companies
• Global creative lead for a major data networking company
• Successfully transitioned a new company from R&D to full commercial operations helping it from sales of zero to over £10 million within 12 months
• Award-winning advertising copywriter
• Helped create a global IT qualification and was part of its adjudication panel